Damn Weather

No update last week due to some work issues. Then on Sunday (the day I typically update this), I was on a plane to the East Coast for a week of meetings. A week of business meetings attended by colleagues, many of whom I hadn’t seen in a few years, some as much as fifteen.

So this week was a challenge, being that it was week three of my third Base period in this year’s training plan, a plan that follows the concept of periodization. In layman’s terms, a Base period is when I put in a lot of time building up a solid fitness base from which to start my intense training and preparing for racing. Each Base period (there are three in all) lasts four weeks. The fourth week of each period is a “rest” week.

Week three of Base Three is the longest training week of the year. I was scheduled for 16 hours and 2 minutes of training. Even with the meetings, I was able to maintain my schedule with two workouts a day through Thursday. And running along the coast line, smelling the salt water, was a nice change from Kentucky. But I was looking forward to getting back to Kentucky to my family and spending some long quality hours on the bike this weekend.

But the weather had different plans.

Friday I started my travels home. My flight was delayed two hours due to a developing Nor’easter dumping quite a bit of snow on New York (I was much further south). I finally got off the ground and landed in Washington, D.C. just as the snow began to fall. Several delays and eight hours later, they finally cancelled almost all of the flights leaving that night. That’s the way the cookie crumbles.

So I got in line with everyone else and worked to get a new flight. Lucky me, they couldn’t find anything until Sunday morning. So, along with everyone else, I started scrambling to figure out where to stay for the next 36 hours. My lovely bride was kind enough to let me pull her out of class so she could get me some phone numbers. So I ended up spending the lion’s share of the weekend with friends who lived in the outskirts of D.C. It was a pleasant surprise for all of us, especially them since I called at 9:15pm on Friday night and asked if I could crash there for a couple of nights.

My bag made it home a full day before I did. Kids, that’s why you pack extra underwear in your carry-on.

So although I didn’t get my training in (only 7 hours and 25 minutes for the week), I was able to reconnect with many friends.

And that’s a good thing.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s